Graduated in Architecture to the University of Florence in 1988, it achieves the PhD in History of Architecture and Urban planning to the IUAV of Venice in 1995. Since 1992 he is in charge of research near the Centro di Studi sulla Cultura e l'Immagine di Roma, founded by Giulio Carlo Argan and directed by Marcello Fagiolo, and has participated to the realization of exhibitions and conventions on the topics of the Renaissance and Baroque architecture, focusing its studies on Bernini and the architectonic patronage of the Rospigliosi family, on the building of the church of S. Luigi dei Francesi in Rome in the XVI century and on the architectures of the Sisto V papacy. "Assegnista di ricerca" in 1999 near the University of Siena, he becomes researcher in 2001 in the same University (Facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia di Arezzo) in the disciplinary field History of architecture (ICAR-18), collaborating to the activities of the History of architecture and urban planning Chair (prof. M. L. Madonna). Since 2002 he is teaching History of architecture and urban planning.
He has participated to important national researches (Prin, ex Miur 40%): "Atlante del Barocco in Italia: architettura, urbanistica, grandi cicli decorativi" (1998-2001, national coordinator: M. Fagiolo); "Il culto dell'antico e la nascita dell'archeologia. Primo ciclo di ricerche su Pirro Ligorio: arte, architettura, cultura antiquaria" (2000-2001, national coordinator: M. L. Madonna.
It has participated moreover to the University researches (PAR, ex Miur 60%): "Materiali per la formazione di un data-base relativo al censimento dei sistemi residenziali delle classi dominanti tra Toscana, Umbria e Lazio, con particolare attenzione a Roma (1550-1780)" (2000-2002, coordinator: M. L. Madonna); the results of this work have been presented to the National Convention "Atlante del Barocco in Italia. Il sistema delle residenze nobiliari: l'architettura e le arti" (Rome, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, 4-7 december 2002, and published in the volume "Residenze nobiliari. Stato Pontificio e Granducato di Toscana" (edited by M. Bevilacqua and M. L. Madonna, Rome 2003) with the title "Affermazione sociale e politica patrimoniale di una famiglia pontificia dalla Toscana a Roma: i Rospigliosi".
He has published mostly works on Gianlorenzo Bernini and art and architecture patronage of Pope Clemente IX between Rome and Pistoia, and in particular the volume "Gianlorenzo Bernini e Clemente IX Rospigliosi. Arte e architettura a Rome e in Toscana nel Seicento ", Rome 2004 (with introduction and preface by Marcello Fagiolo).
About his researches on the Renaissance in Rome he has published moreover the volume "San Luigi dei Francesi. La fabbrica di una chiesa nazionale nella Roma del '500", Rome 2005.
Since 2009 he is in charge of historical and architectural research by the "Service des Travaux et des Bâtiments français en Italie" of the French Embassy in Rome for the restoration workshops of the convent of Trinita dei Monti, the churches of S. Luigi dei Francesi and S. Ivo dei Bretoni and the Palazzo Farnese.
Among his last research and teaching applications he applied himself to the topics of urban space and the role of architecture in the processes of learning and social integration of the contemporary city.
From 2017 he holds seminars on "History of modern and contemporary architecture" in the master's degree course in the History of Art of Sapienza University of Rome (Department of History Anthropology Religions Art and Performing arts).